Tuesday, April 22

Tidbits: Top 10 Most Dateable Book Characters

I have no shame - I'm willing to admit that there are some pretty darn hot book characters out there. As in, I'd date them.

So in no particular order, I've created my "Top 10 Most Dateable Book Characters" list in the hopes that you will share yours with me. I've tried to keep things even as far as men and women are concerned - the authors of these pages are not partial to one sex, so why should I be?


1. Harry Potter - The Harry Potter series

Maybe this one isn't fair because we have the image of Potter perfection that is Daniel Radcliffe to admire. I don't care.









2. Nancy Drew - The Nancy Drew series

Man, was that little devil sneaky or what! It must have been her cunning nature that captivated me as a child...





3. Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice

I know, I know, Keira Knightley portrayed her on screen so she's automatically gorgeous. But even before that, this one's a given - she put up with Mr. Darcy for pete's sake!


4. Heathcliff - Wuthering Heights

Can't you just picture him bitterly pining away for dear Catherine? Check out that cape - delicious.











5. Scarlett O'Hara - Gone with the Wind

Duh. Rhett Butler isn't looking too bad either, but you absolutely fail if she's not on your list








6. Holden Caulfield - Catcher in the Rye

One gangly redhead ... yes please. He's no "phony" to me.


7. Fermina Daza - Love in the Time of Cholera

This chick is feisty. And Florentino comes looking for her 50 years later? She must be dateable.



8. Tom Sawyer - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (and Huckleberry Finn)

Everyone loves a cute troublemaker. And a southern one, at that.



9. Mr. Rochester - Jane Eyre

So he isn't that great-looking and he's quite moody, but his love for Jane makes me love him. And he owns a manor - doesn't hurt.


10. Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird

Who doesn't have a thing for a widowed lawyer trying to defend justice in the racist South? Hot.









So those are my picks - now how about you?

5 comments:

Shaina Mangino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaina Mangino said...

ok, great list, but my additions include, but are not limited to:

the phantom from the phantom of the opera: the book is just as good as the musical/movie, and contrary to popular belief, he's not creepy. he's mysterious.

elfaba (the wicked witch of the west) from wicked: this is such a creative book and look at how things could have been over in oz. she is caring, creative, smart and very misunderstood, but eventually gets the popular guy in the end. she is very well-rounded.

if you can't tell, i love musicals!

Unknown said...

Emily, I love this post! What a creative idea! I started thinking about my "most dateable" characters and realized that all of these characters are from the first time I read the author that created them. Here they are:

1. Macon from "Someone Like You" - I read this book as a teen and it made me want to be a better writer because I could relate to all of the characters and I had a picture of Macon in my head that was incredibly realistic. This is a young adult novel (shameful I know), but I think the author, Sarah Dessen, is a great writer and I recommend her books to any tween / young teen I know!

2. Landon from "A Walk to Remember" - I love all of Nicholas Sparks's books, but Landon is still my favorite male character. Plus, the book is 100x better than the movie.

3. Mr. Darcy from "Pride and Prejudice" - Let's just say I traveled all the way to Derbyshire just to see the fictional Darcy house.

Nora Cobb said...

I'm with Taylor. As soon as I saw Heathcliff up there I thought: Where's Mr. Darcy? He's so brooding and introvert, you just want to figure him out and get into his mind.

Another mysterious man that needs to be up there is Gatsby from "The Great Gatsby." He seems so classy and such a lady's man, but as with Mr. Darcy there is something behind the facade.

mandy said...

All I have to say is that I love these characters, but I cannot handle that Mr. Darcy is not on the list. He is by far the most obvious choice in my eyes. He is one character I wish were real. Oh well, a girl can dream.